Friday, August 9, 2013

I'm just a happy, bubbly missionary...




Hi everyone! Travis here! Lots of stuff happened again this week!

Fun stuff
So one of the Hermana's in our district is super duper gullible. Like really!  bahaha. We convinced her that the 2nd word in every verse in D&C 88 would write out the preamble to Declaration 1 ...and then she went and tried it! Bahahahahaha, soooo funny! It took her like 10 verses to realize it had nothing to do with it! Bahaha! And then the next day we convinced her that if you read D&C 26 backwards, it was the Proclamation on the Family :) Oh goodness. Haha, she's a funny one.

Every Sunday and Tuesday nights we have a devotional at the Marriott Center. It's super fun. Everyone lines up like 15 minutes early at the MTC gates.  As soon as they open, it's a fast walk race. It's hilarious; everyone is booking it ...but the rule is you have to have both feet on the ground at once. Es muy comico. The sad thing is we've NEVER yet had a General Authority come to talk to us; it's just been random people.  I only have one devotional left this Sunday night. I just want one general authority!! :p  But nonetheless, the talks have been amazing!

Thanks for the photos ...as a result, Kimi is really popular in my district. So I tried hooking Kimi up with my teachers. They are both incredible guys, but sadly, they already have girlfriends. But they did admit she was quite attractive ...we'll see how this goes.

Our service day is on Thursdays at 6:15. So last Thursday, they let us set up the flags around the MTC!!  Woot! We got to set up a total of 32 of them. Everyone in my district went running for Argentina, but I went for Germany and France for dad:) I also grabbed Spain for Brent and some other random flags that had cool designs on them. It was very cool and fun to set them up all over campus ...not even fair to call this service! Bahahaha! Tomorrow is our last service day; it'll be fun to see what they'll have us do.

Oh, so I guess I may have spoken too soon ...remember how I said I didn't get sick, well I did. I got it last Thursday, and I'm just barely getting better today. It didn't stop me from studying or anything, just had a sore throat and the absolutely worst stuffy nose ever. I didn't get very much sleep this week :(  But tonight I hope to sleep ok since I'm starting to feel better.
In last Sunday's devotional, a recent convert from Korea bore her testimony....in her native tongue. Boy....I'm glad I'm learning Spanish. Those sounds all sound the same. It's freaking ridiculous. Thumbs up I get to learn the 2nd most useful language in the world!  Go Spanish!

Spiritual stuff
Usually when I used to do my scripture studying, I just read the Book of Mormon chronologically, front to back. I've very much enjoyed this, and it's helped me to know where most of the stories are. But now, I've changed my studying to read by themes based on the needs of my investigators. It's so amazing to prepare this way. Soooo many times during lessons the investigator asks a particular question for which I've prepared, and BAM, I remember a scripture that's perfect for the need! It's kinda' cool and has happened at least once in every lesson. Obviously, they have us memorize lots of scripture references.  But often these aren't the ones that we've memorized, just the one's I recalled reading during my studies. Scriptures like

D&C 93:1
Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am;
 
 or Ether 12:4
Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.
 
really, just kinda' random ones that the Spirit brings to my memory to help my investigators. :)  It's really cool to see the power preparation brings to your lessons. :)

At the devotional yesterday, Brother Jay Jensen (the speaker) said, "The power to convert is directly linked to the scriptures." It's so true. Both the Bible and Book of Mormon testify of Christ and truth, and that power is what converts people.

2 Nephi 31
He added, "There is a height, depth, and breadth to every scripture that we have not yet discovered." Every scripture contains more truth, and each is more important than we take it granted for. I suppose it's fair to say, "Each scripture means something to someone." The scriptures contain so much truth, combined with the Spirit, they can convert people. And to study them thoroughly probably takes more than a lifetime because we have to dig for it. :)

Brother Jensen also taught that we, the missionaries, are "living wells". He only said it once and continued with his talk; but it really got me pondering. Christ, in His own words, said that He was the Living Water,


John 4:14
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
 
...and where is water found? In a well! Humbly... I'm the well in which others can partake of the goodness and blessings of Christ. It is through me that many people will "drink" of Christ. :)  Of course, that is why I'm out here, to bring others to Christ, and I'm the well in which they get the water. :)  Cool, huh!

So in my personal studies, I was reading my favorite chapter -- Helaman 5 -- and totally caught something I hadn't ever before. Referring to earlier: "There is a height, depth, and breadth to every scripture that we have not yet discovered."  Verse 5, where Helaman is talking about why he named his sons Nephi and Lehi.

Helaman 5:6
...Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good.
 

Similarly, we also bare Christ's name. At baptism and every week at the sacrament table, we take upon ourselves Christ's name, and are asked to remember Christ's works, all of which are good, and are counseled to strive to be like Him, for we are His people and bare His name. :)


Out in the real world ...kinda :)
And finally ...I'm happy. :) Regardless of what goes on here, and the difficulties and challenges I deal with, I'm happy. I loved this week, even if currently I'm trapped in the CCM. I'm just happy and know I'm being blessed because of the work I'm doing. Studying makes me happy, learning makes me happy, anything that deals with God makes me happy. :)

I know this work is true, and true happiness is found in the service of others. I'm just a happy, bubbly little missionary happy to be doing the work. I can't wait to share my feelings with others. God is happiness, therefore, I'm happy as I come closer to God.

The Church is true, and my testimony will never falter. :)
 
Elder Clemons